When are auditions held?
- Auditions will take place September 10-15, 2013.
September 10 – 13: Strings
September 12: Harp
September 14 – 15: Woodwinds, Brass, Percussion, Piano
- Seating auditions (strings only) will take place on September 21, 2013
- Applications are available online here.
Am I eligible?
In order to participate in the Atlanta Symphony Youth Orchestra, students must:
- Be a middle or high school student at least 13 years old by September 28, 2013.
- Be a member in good standing of his/her school music program, if the school has a music program.
Note: Joint enrollment with a college or university is acceptable; however, the applicant must indicate BOTH institutions at which he/she is enrolled.
- Pass the audition
What is the cost to audition for and participate in ASYO?
- Tuition for the Atlanta Symphony Youth Orchestra is $450, payable in two installments. Financial assistance is available through the Elinor Rosenberg Breman Fellowship. The application for the Breman Fellowship will be made available to all accepted members of the Atlanta Symphony Youth Orchestra on September 16, 2013.
- There is a non-refundable application fee of $35.
How does the audition process work?
- Once you register online and submit your $35 registration fee, you will receive audition requirements for your instrument. Audition requirements change regularly, but typically include orchestral excerpts, a solo piece to be determined by the audition committee, and sometimes scales and sight-reading depending on your instrument.
Audition excerpt sheet music will not be available until June 24, 2013.
All excerpts will be mailed to the home address provided on the online application.
- Should you choose not to audition after you have applied, please call (404) 733-4830 or email Kaitlin Gress to cancel your audition. Failure to appear without notice at a scheduled audition will disqualify you for the next season. You may re-apply in two years.
When are audition results given?
- Audition results will be emailed and posted on the website the week of September 16th. No audition results will be given out by phone.
- Some auditioning students might be named as alternates and could be contacted to play with the orchestra when a need for musicians arises. This may be for one concert or for the remaining season. ASYO alternates are not required to pay tuition and do not receive the privileges of full membership unless called upon to permanently replace a current member.
Call or email Kaitlin Gress, ArtsVibe Teen Program Coordinator at (404) 733-5037 for more information.